Fair Processing Notice
Patient Privacy Statement
GDPR - How your information will be used
- As one of your health and social care providers, Middle Chare Medical Group needs to keep and process information about you for normal health care purposes. The information we hold and process will be used for our management and administrative use only. We will keep and use it to provide health care and manage our relationship with you effectively, lawfully and appropriately, during your registration, whilst you are under our care, at the time when have been discharged or no longer under our care. This includes using information to enable us to comply with any service/performance contracts, to comply with any legal requirements, pursue the legitimate interests of Middle Chare Medical Group and to protect our legal position in the event of legal proceedings. If you do not provide this data, we may be unable in some circumstances to comply with our obligations and we will tell you about the implications of that decision.
- As a business we may sometimes need to process your data to pursue our legitimate business interests, for example to prevent fraud, for administrative purposes or to manage your health care. We will never process your data where these interests are overridden by your own interests.
- Much of the information we hold will have been provided by you, but some may come from other internal sources, such as clinical and administrative staff, or in some cases, external sources, such as other health and social care providers.
- The sort of information we hold includes your contact details, your medical records; correspondence with or about you, for example information from other health and social care organisations, medications; records of appointments, visits and other attendances.
- 5. Where we record or process special categories of information relating to your health and social care records, racial or ethnic origin, religious, biometric data or sexual orientation, we will always obtain your explicit consent to those activities unless this is required by law or the information is required to provide healthcare.
- 6. Where we are processing data based on your consent, you have the right to withdraw that consent at any time.
- 7. We may record computer and telephone/mobile telephone contacts.
- 8. Other than as mentioned below, we will only disclose information about you to third parties if we are legally obliged to do so or where we need to comply with our contractual duties to you, for instance we may need to pass on certain information to our external health insurance schemes.
- 9. We may transfer information about you to other organisations for purposes connected with your healthcare or the management of Middle Chare Medical Group business, such as Commissioning bodies, hospital trusts, health and social care services.
- In limited and necessary circumstances, your information may be transferred outside of the EU or to an international organisation to comply with our legal or contractual requirements. We have in place safeguards to ensure the security of your data. A copy of the safeguards can be obtained from the Practice.
- 1 Your personal data will be stored only for as long as we require it in relation to the purpose for which it was collected and/or processed.
- 12. If in the future we intend to process your personal data for a purpose other than that which it was collected we will provide you with information on that purpose and any other relevant information.
- Under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) you have a number of rights with regard to your personal data. You have the right to request from us access to and rectification or erasure of your personal data. You also have the right to restrict processing, object to processing as well as in certain circumstances the right to data portability.
- If you have provided consent for the processing of your data you have the right (in certain circumstances) to withdraw that consent at any time which will not affect the lawfulness of the processing before your consent was withdrawn.
- You have the right to lodge a complaint to the Information Commissioner’s Office if you believe that we have not complied with the requirements of the GDPR with regard to your personal data.
How the NHS and care services use your information
Middle Chare Medical Group is one of many organisations working in the health and care system to improve care for patients and the public
Whenever you use a health or care service, such as attending Accident & Emergency or using Community Care services, important information about you is collected in a patient record for that service. Collecting this information helps to ensure you get the best possible care and treatment.
The information collected about you when you use these services can also be used and provided to other organisations for purposes beyond your individual care, for instance to help with:
- improving the quality and standards of care provided
- research into the development of new treatments
- preventing illness and diseases
This may only take place when there is a clear legal basis to use this information. All these uses help to provide better health and care for you, your family and future generations. Confidential patient information about your health and care is only used like this where allowed by law.
Most of the time, anonymised data is used for research and planning so that you cannot be identified in which case your confidential patient information isn’t needed.
You have a choice about whether you want your confidential patient information to be used in this way. If you are happy with this use of information you do not need to do anything. If you do choose to opt out your confidential patient information will still be used to support your individual care.
To find out more or to register your choice to opt out, please visit www.nhs.uk/your-nhs-data-matters. On this web page you will:
- See what is meant by confidential patient information
- Find examples of when confidential patient information is used for individual care and examples of when it is used for purposes beyond individual care
- Find out more about the benefits of sharing data
- Understand more about who uses the data
- Find out how your data is protected
- Be able to access the system to view, set or change your opt-out setting
- Find the contact telephone number if you want to know any more or to set/change your opt-out by phone
- See the situations where the opt-out will not apply
You can also find out more about how patient information is used at:
https://www.hra.nhs.uk/information-about-patients/ (which covers health and care research); and
https://understandingpatientdata.org.uk/what-you-need-know (which covers how and why patient information is used, the safeguards and how decisions are made)
You can change your mind about your choice at any time.
Data being used or shared for purposes beyond individual care does not include your data being shared with insurance companies or used for marketing purposes and data would only be used in this way with your specific agreement.
Health and care organisations have until 2020 to put systems and processes in place so they can be compliant with the national data opt-out and apply your choice to any confidential patient information they use or share for purposes beyond your individual care. Our organisation ‘is currently’ compliant with the national data opt-out policy.
Identity and contact details of controller and data protection officer
Middle Chare Medical Group is the controller and processor of data for the purposes of GDPR.
If you have any concerns as to how your data is processed you should contact the Data Protection Officer, please use the following Email: email@example.com
Or you can write to the DPO at:
Senior Governance Manager & Data Protection Officer
North of England Commissioning Support
Please read ** GDPR Patient Data Protection Policy